Care & Maintenance
Laminate Care and Maintenance
Before you tackle caring for your new laminate flooring, it’s important to understand the elements that make up your new floor. Some of today’s newer laminate flooring includes waterproof finishes, but most do not so your care and maintenance routine must comply with the manufacturer’s guidelines. For example, Shaw laminate flooring includes wood, so you should never use excessive moisture or a non-approved cleaning solution while caring for their laminate flooring.
At Yetzer’s, we recommend the following care and maintenance routine for your new laminate floors:
- Daily care and maintenance of your laminate flooring could include sweeping, dry moping or vacuuming with a hard surface flooring attachment.
- Blot and dry any liquid spills as quickly as possible to avoid warping. Most common household messes like spills and soil should wipe or sweep away clean.
For Preventative Laminate Maintenance:
- Use doormats at the entry to the room to capture any dirt, sand or grime that could be tracked onto your flooring.
- Use wide dollies whenever you need to move furniture across the floor.
- Protect your flooring from dents or marks by placing heavy appliances on mats.
- Add an area rug or two for stylish protection of your laminate flooring.
Laminate Stain Removal:
For difficult stains and messes like candle wax and chewing gum, or oil-based stains like lipstick and olive oil, consult with the manufacturer’s guidelines for cleaning tough stains and messes. Many of these tougher stains have simple solutions like using nail polish remover or freezing with ice before gently scraping away with a plastic scraper. For specific guidelines, visit Shaw’s laminate flooring cleaning suggestions here (https://shawfloors.com/flooring/how-to/laminate/care-maintenance/how-to-clean-laminate-floors).
Laminate Cleaning Solutions:
Frequent deep cleaning of your new laminate flooring shouldn’t be a necessity but when you want to give your laminate flooring a deeper clean, we recommend you use a manufacturer approved hard surface cleaner.
Additional laminate flooring resources:
Below is a list of additional care and maintenance tips plus stain removal resources to help keep your laminate flooring looking beautiful:
Shaw Laminate Flooring Care Guide:
Care and Maintenance Tips:
Repairing Laminate Flooring:
Shaw R2X Hardsurface Cleaner: